Duration: 6-12 months | £60pp per session
Sessions: 09.30am – 11.30am / 12.30pm-14.30pm
Starts: Enrolments from September 2023
Progression: Level 1 Construction Multi-Skills or Level 2 Construction and the Built Environment
Sessions can be once a week. We can accommodate single students or block bookings from schools, APs, CIC and Trusts. Max numbers per group is 6.
This course is aimed at Year 9,10 & 11s.
The NOCN Entry Level Award in Introduction to Construction (Entry 3) is designed to
provide an introduction to the construction industry. Learners will gain knowledge on how
to prepare for a career in construction with plenty of hands-on experience using tools and equipment for the practical activities.
This qualification is suitable for learners aged 13 + years or over. The qualification will
provide learners with an opportunity to:
- Gain an understanding about the different career opportunities in the construction
- Gain an awareness of the importance of health and safety in construction.
- Gain an awareness about environmental issues relating to construction.
- Learn hands-on construction skills.
- Use lots of different tools and equipment.
- Taught by qualified tutors.
- The learning journey will include at least two of the below skills:
• measure and cut timber and timber-based products to given dimensions.
• form basic joints using hand tools.
• join timber and/or timber-based products.
• produce basic products, such as a frame or box, using basic joints and fixings.
• set out wall and return (minimum 1m each).
• lay bricks dry at least two courses high.
• know how to prepare mortar.
• lay bricks using a stretcher bond at least four courses high.
• finish joints.
• check for plumb and level.
• carry out surface preparation including cleaning, filling and smoothing surfaces as
• undercoat surfaces.
• apply coats as required to timber and one other surface.
• one surface must allow learner to cover a minimum area of 1.5m x 1.5m.
• cut in to at least one floor/ceiling and one internal corner.
• learner must use at least one undercoat product and two paint types.
• prepare surfaces to receive tile adhesive.
• set out surface.
• lay tiles to specification.
• learners must be able to cut tiles and fix to a minimum area of 0.75m x 0.75m.
• prepare grout.
• complete grouting to specification.
• prepare surfaces to receive plaster.
• perform suction test.
• apply scrim as necessary.
• plaster a minimum area of 1m x 1m.
• complete plastering to specification.
• Measure and cut plastic / copper pipes to match specification (10mm tolerance)
• Assemble frames (minimum size 300mm by 250mm) using compression / push fit
• Assemble frames using solder end feed
• Attach frames to a board.
• Test frame to ensure no leak.
Learners will gain the knowledge and skills required to prepare for further training in construction.
Students who complete this award can progress onto Construction Multi-skills Level 1 Award
Contact: email@example.com or phone 01473 830255